So, I’m past my first week at my new job.
It’s been an exhausting, incredible week. I’m working the weeks in San Francisco, and last Sunday I flew down. They’ve put me up in a ‘Business Dorm.’ That’s the best way to describe it. It’s not primitive by any means, but it has very limited amenities. No bath, only a shower. Very small bathroom. Small television. It does have a decent sized desk, however, and a huge bed. Very functional, but that’s all.
It is only about 5 blocks from work, and it’s just over one block from the Transamerica building, that big pointy one that’s one of San Francisco’s landmarks. An easy walk to work, with plenty of Starbucks on the way, not that I like Charbu…er…Starbucks.
Work will reimburse me for my expenses, including food. Honestly, though, if I did use up my entire food budget, I’d be three hundred pounds by the time I left SF. The food is great.

Work was amazing. I met far too many people, and there’s no way I’ll remember all of the names until I’ve been there awhile. Everyone is really friendly. I’ve never had a welcome like that when I start a job. You can feel it, everyone just loves their job there. One person stated that the ‘honeymoon’ period was over a year and a half long for them. They’d been there for just over a year and a half.

I hit the ground running. They really expect you to spend the first week just getting your feet wet, taking care of HR stuff, learning the project, meeting people. I’ve done as much of that as I was able in the first week, given a lot of stuff was scheduled for the second week, but I actually starting scripting and building in-world, which is somewhat advanced. I checked out a machine, and started building my groups software. All kinds of stuff like that. I even checked in my first bugfix.

Next week, I hope to make some good contributions to the specific components that are high priority.

They also know how to have fun. Wednesday, some coworkers took me out for beer and clubbing. Thursday was martini day. Friday was company lunch day and Nintendo rock band stuff.

As far as other stuff, well, I didn’t get much of a chance to see SF. Didn’t get much of a chance to write, either. No time, and by the time I got back to the hotel, I was out of zoom. I’m going to try to catch up today.

Anyway, I look forward to going back on Sunday, and it’s gonna be hard not to do work over the weeklend.